Monday 12 February 2018

THE ANDERSON FAMILY IN THE SCOTTISH BORDERS - INCLUDING PEEBLES

I've investigated my mum's side of the family quite closely, as the Andersons mostly lived locally to where I live now - Peebles. They seem to come from Ettrick & Yarrow, with these parishes being located just 5 miles over the hills to the south of Peebles.

From what I have gathered, Walter ANDERSON (my 4xgreat grandfather) was born in 1765 to Walter ANDERSON and Bessie BLAKE.

Walter married Helen LAIDLAW in Ettrick in 1794. (Helen’s father, Robert, was the brother of Margaret Laidlaw, the mother of James HOGG, also known as The Ettrick Shepherd).

Their son, Walter (my 3xgreat grandfather), was born in Ettrick in 1799 and in 1822, he married Esther TURNBULL in Ettrick. 

Their son, James (my great great grandfather) was born at Summerhope, Ettrick in 1832. Per the 1841 Census, James, aged 8, lived with his parents at Summerhope. By 1851, he was a shepherd at Thickside, Eskdalemuir, Dumfriesshire.

James married Elizabeth LITTLE on 20th July 1858 in Johnston, Eskdalemuir, Dumfriesshire and on 9th August 1858, his son, James, was born in Johnston. However, his wife Elizabeth, died of "water on the brain" on 13th August, which meant that in the space of 24 days, James had married, become a father and had been widowed.

In 1861, James was back with his parents at Summerhope. However, his son, James, was then living with his grandparents (Elizabeth Little's parents) in Johnston. Grandfather James Little, was a farmer with 1,600 acres of pasture, and according to the 1861 Census, the Little family lived in a 9 room property.

James married Jane ELLIOT at Over Kirkhope, Ettrick in 1866 and after three children were born in Morven, Argyll, my great grandfather, Francis Turnbull, was born in Whitefield, Yarrow in 1876.

Whitefield Cottage, Yarrow



The 1901 Census has James still working as a shepherd, with wife Jane and grandson, James, aged 4, living at Bonnington Farm Cottage, Peebles.

Bonnington Farm, Peebles (2013)




James died on 7th February, 1905 at The Howe, near Lauder, Berwickshire.

The Howe, near Lauder




By 1911, Jane is aged 70 and is living with her sons, John James Elliot and Cameron at The Yett, in Hownam Parish (a district of Kelso). She died in 1915 at Burngrains, Ewes, Dumfriesshire.

Burngrains, Ewes



Going back a few years to my great grandfather, Frank, in 1881, he was 5 and living with his parents and brothers, Walter, Thomas, John, Cameron and William, at Brandslea House, Upper Monynut, Innerwick, East Lothian (5 miles south of Dunbar). By 1891, Frank was still with his parents and brothers, Cameron and William, at Shepherds House, Yair, in the Parish of Caddonfoot, Selkirkshire.

Yair House, on the River Tweed, west of Selkirk



He'd moved south of the border by 1901 and was living with two of his brothers, Thomas and John at Upper Longhouse Farm, Falstone Parish, Northumberland. Frank and John were shepherds, whilst Thomas was a "Drainer on Farm" (being "a person who made drains"). Also living there is Helen HARDIE (Frank’s future wife and the second oldest of 16 children), who was the housekeeper.
In 1901, Frank’s twin brothers, Cameron and William lived at Muttonhall in Yarrow. Also there was Mary BELL, a domestic servant, who William subsequently married in Wamphray, Dumfriesshire in 1903. At that time, William lived in Bonnington, Peebles.

Muttonhall, Yarrow





Frank married Helen HARDIE at Yarrow Manse in 1903, at which time they both lived at Muttonhall.

Frank and Helen, with sons Archie and Jim



In 1905, their son (my grandfather), Archibald Hardie was born at Muttonhall, and by 1911, they had all relocated to a Shepherd's Cottage, at Southdean, Roxburghshire. In 1915, Frank and family were living at Hillhead House, Hawick and in 1920 were living at Whitehillshiel House, Burnmouth, Castleton Parish.
1936 sees Frank living at Redmoss Flatt, Castleton Parish, but in 1946 he died at Riggfoot, Ewes Parish, Dumfriesshire.
Helen, aged 84, died in 1959 in Langholm, Dumfriesshire. I do however have a photograph of her and me, circa 1954.



My grandfather, Archie, married Agnes TURNBULL in 1930 in Langholm, Dumfriesshire and at the end of October that year, my mother, Nellie McGlasson ANDERSON was born at Glenreif Cottage, Ewes, Dumfriesshire.

Glenrief Cottage, Ewes





Archie and Agnes (Nan).




Agnes, aged 70, died in 1980 in St Andrews Nursing Home, Hawick and Archie died in 1983 at Leahaugh Farm (owned by my aunt Jean and uncle David Mitchinson), near Newcastleton, Roxburghshire.

3 comments:

  1. Neil,
    I am a descendant of Walter Anderson born c 1769 died 1846 at Crosscleuch, Lyne and Megget. He married Helen Amos b 1780 daughter of James Amos, and they had 9 children. Since your Walter Anderson is the same generation as mine, and living in close proximity to one another, it would seem they are likely to be related.
    I would love to share information with you, so please feel free to email me directly at janekate@aol.com. Recent DNA testing has connected me to other descendants of Walter and Helen, and so we are trying now to determine the parentage of "our" Walter. In the 1841 census he states he was born out of county, so not in Peebleshire. Jane in New Hampshire, USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a descendant from Andrew Anderson (1763), then via Helen Anderson (b 1798), John REIVE b1836), Peter REIVE b 1863 who had my grandfather in Wales, the REIVE name changed to Reeves from this Peter REIVE. I have DNA matches coming from your Walter Anderson b1765. So we come from Walter Anderson b1725 and Bessie Black. This information on my family is extremely new to me (last few months) and I’m still delving when I get time. I never even knew I had Scottish roots until Feb of this year after taking a DNA match, to be honest I didn’t even know my great grandparents names until then either. It’s a shame my father isn’t still alive I would of loved to share this information with him as he knew nothing either.

    I live near London so to visit Eskdalemuir is probably not likely to happen anytime soon, so any pictures, information, anything would be lovely to see and I’m glad I stumbled across your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm stunned to have found your blog today! I'm of the same family line as you but I hadn't made the link back to James Hogg (who I wrote my dissertation on!)
    My mum is Ailsa Ann Anderson, her mum was Jane Elliot Anderson b1918, Jane's dad was the Thomas Anderson you mention who died at Blackhouse in 1936. Thomas's parents were James Anderson and Jane Elliot m1866 and so on. I have John James Elliot's bible and quite a few pictures. I'd love to discuss this with you more! My email is mazabaz@hotmail.com
    Mhairi

    ReplyDelete